Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Precision and Love In a Shiny Swiss Machine

DSCF0039


Meet the new addition to our projector family, Ms. Beautiful Bolex. I met this wonderful machine at the estate sale of James and Helen Hunt, and I knew at once that I had to have her. She was resting, just a peek of shine showing through a white leather zipper bag, next to a tidy pile of guidebooks for the 1964/65 New York World's Fair. All amazing artwork and architecture of said books was forgotten entirely as I unzipped her case, all aquiver with the excitement of having found a rare gem, and at the luck of a price just above free.

An hour earlier, I had fallen in love with James and Helen Hunt. Right in their very own garage. In amongst the tables and tables of various holiday decorations and all manner of bridge night accessories, I had almost given up when a shoebox full of yellow Kodak boxes caught my eye. Then I saw the camera- an Electric Zoom 8 in mint condition, in a snappy little case! With more boxes of film underneath! UNUSED 8mm FILM!!! Oh, what glorious bargains and bits of history had I stumbled upon?! Now, I found it incredibly romantic that these priceless artifacts were ACTUALLY KEPT IN A SHOEBOX, and that is when I fell for the Hunts. There, hunched over the tiny shoebox full of reel after reel of their 'home' movies. I say 'home', because the next thing I saw was a table full of maps, postcards, guidebooks and travel itineraries from around the world. From around the '60's world; the most beautifully designed world. Hong Kong, Sweden, B.C., Hawaii, France, Australia, an extended holiday in Taiwan-- just like Ro and Lee! and April and Miguel! and countless other sweet lovers, I am sure-- Suddenly, it all came together in my mind: the cards, the decorations, the endless serving trays and utensils, the trips... The times they must have had with their family and friends! Man, I felt so much happiness and love of life standing in their garage. Talk about vibes! I could not wait to get home and travel the world with James and Helen. And Dana! Oooooooooooooo, Dana. He was gonna love the goods as much as me, maybe more, only without all the squealing and shivering. Or maybe he squeals and shivers on the inside. At any rate, that was half the excitement in my happy heart-- knowing that Dana would find it all amazing, too, and have the time of his life with the camera and the film.

AND THE PROJECTOR!! A complete package.

Thank you, James and Helen Hunt. Thanks for taking such good care of yourselves (you lived forever!) and your things. We love your movies and your good times.


DSCF0037

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home