Friday, January 14, 2011

Sonic Boom















Throughout my childhood, I spent my summers in Redwater, TX, with my mammaw. The very, very small town was way out in the country, but sort of near an air base.

At least once a month- while we were out gardening, or sitting in the shade eating peaches off the tree or homemade pudding pops- a plane would fly overhead and break the sound barrier. I remember exactly where I was standing the first time I heard it. I remember how my hot, humid skin felt as chills spread all over, how it frightened me just a little bit, and the sense of wonder and amazement that overcame me. It was an absolute thrill every single time, every single summer. Sonic booms are still one of my favorite sounds.

http://skito.tumblr.com/post/2742265739/throughout-my-childhood-i-spent-my-summers-in

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home